Statcounter

Monday, September 3, 2018

Should I be a-Mused?

I've been delving into my genealogy using the site FamilySearch.com and have come up with some interesting insights.  For example, my family tree goes all the way back to Adam ben Elohim, son of Elohim and Heavenly Mother.  Eve is listed as having one parent, Adam's Rib. 

While I believe in the Bible and that there was a first couple named Adam and Eve, I'm very skeptical of any family trees giving an unbroken line all the way back to Adam.  I'm also skeptical of family trees containing any royalty unless the lineage is well documented. 

Closer to contemporary times, however, I've found interesting information.  One thing I have learned is that I have several Muses in my ancestry.  There are two jokes you can make about that; one, that I must have many muses for inspiration; two, that I can find things amusing; three, that I can look at people and say, "We are not amused."

Muse is the last name of my great-great grandfather.  His daughter married a Chitwood.  Their son married my grandmother and they, in turn, had my mother.  I don't know very much about my great-great grandfather Muse except names, dates, and locations, but from what I can learn, he seems like he was quite a character. 

For example, he's been known as Christopher C. Muse, C.C. Muse (the name on his marriage record to Nancy Sharp, my great-great grandmother), Christopher Micajah Muse, Micajah Muse, Mack Muse, and Mack C. Muse.  He may also have been known as Cage Muse.

I've discovered two children of his so far; one being my great-grandmother, Mary Etta Muse; the other being her brother, Richard Dow Muse.  According to the information I have, Richard was born in 1876; Etta, in 1881.  Christopher, C.C., whoever he is, and Nancy got married on June 6, 1882, according to the Tennessee State Marriage Index. 

I can't find very much information on Nancy except that she was also married to a man named Blevins and had two other kids with him. 

This branch of my family has roots in Scott County, Tennessee.  Scott County lies just west of I-75, about an hour's drive northwest from Knoxville.  Its name comes from General Winfield Scott, a Mexican War hero (and the county does include a town named Winfield.)  I did a fast Wikipedia search and learned that during the Civil War, Scott County seceded from the state of Tennessee and formed the "Free and Independent State of Scott".  They were a pro-Union enclave during the Civil War.    That proclamation was finally repealed in 1986. 



Reading that story, it makes me think that the people of Scott County had the attitude of, "No one is going to tell US what to do!"  That can be a good thing; it's an attitude that breeds rock-solid convictions and people of integrity who will not be moved no matter what the circumstances. It can also be a bad thing when it breeds stubbornness and sinful pride, and the Bible contains plenty of warnings about sinful pride. 

When Christopher, Micajah, whatever he called himself, decided to refer to himself by various and sundry names, he didn't know that his great-great granddaughter would one day have information at her fingertips that would leave her shaking her head and muttering, "We are not a-Mused." 

On the other hand, it does make me wonder what my great-great grandfather was like and how much the Free State of Scott influenced him! 

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation

3 comments:

  1. I found your post because I was doing a web search on Micajah who as I underatand was my great, great grandfather. Richard was my great grandfather. From what little I know of Micajah he was supposedly a moonshiner. There's an interesting news article I found about a Cage Muse, King of the moonshiners. Wonder if it was the same person? Link here: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4642668/st_louis_postdispatch/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the same person. The name changes and the secrecy about this man seems to be directly a result of his moonshiner occupation. I can fill you in on the ancestry of the second marriage and the two daughters, Bessie Jane (Sanders) and Sylvia Carolyn (Henderson). Diane Sanders Dodd dianedodd@hotmail.com

      Delete
  2. I am also a great grand daughter of the man of many names (Cage Muse). My grandmother, Bessie Jane Muse and her sister, Sylvia Caroline Muse Henderson were products of his second marriage. Sarah Diane Sanders Dodd

    ReplyDelete