Statcounter

Thursday, February 2, 2023

Drink this, it's good for you!

I have become fascinated lately with the subject of multi-level marketing.  Specifically, posts and videos made against it.  Right now, I don't have the time and the energy to completely explain why, because it's getting close to my bedtime. I'll just say that the more I listen to and read about MLMs, the more they sound like religious cults.  

If you want examples of multi-level marketing, groups where 1) you sell products and 2) get other people to sell products (with you getting a portion of what the other person earns), you are probably participating in multi-level marketing.  Think Amway, Mary Kay, Herbalife.  

Over on the social media site Reddit, I follow a sub-Reddit called r/antiMLM. Someone posted a product from the company Arbonne, a health and wellness MLM, called "Daily Green Gut Glow". 

The drink pictured on the post describes the "greens" as "36 rainbow fruits and veggies including spiralina and chlorella, phytonutrients, fiber and antioxidants." The "gut" is "pro and prebiotic blend digestive enzymes and ginger, aka de-bloat." The "glow" is "collagen builder with hyaluronic acid, sea buckthorn extract and Vitamin C." 

The title of the post I linked to is titled, "I'm supposed to want to drink this?" 

Because the photo, when I looked at it, looked like someone had dumped a bunch of pieces of coal into a glass, filled it with water mixed with coal dust, and stuck a straw into it!

The comments below the photo are snarky and hilarious (and heads up, some are r-rated.)

For example, someone said they'd misread "chlorella" as "cholera". 

Another one asked, "Anyone else here old enough to think of that song 'great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts'?"  ("And me without my spoon!")

Someone else posted, "I'm too snarky. I'd be tempted to post back, 'Green Gut Glow sounds like a radioactive drink from the Fallout series!" (Followed underneath with "Geiger counter noise intensifies.") 

Another comment, from someone who'd just finished watching HBO's Chernobyl:  "Green gut glow sounds like what killed those first responders to that nuclear reactor explosions." 

Farther down:  "I feel like this is left over special effects gunk from 90's 'Charmed' for when the defeata demons that turn into ooze." (I'd probably add, "Maybe also Nickelodeon slime that had been improperly stored and was now covered with mold.") 

Someone described their blueberry and kale smoothie as looking like that, but at least they knew what was in it. (I've made blueberry and kale smoothies, and no, they do not look anywhere close to the picture I saw!) 

So while I appreciate the efforts of the Arbonne company to at least act like they want us to be healthy and provide us with the products to do so, I will stick with making my own smoothies, thank you.  Not buy something that may remind me of pond scum.

Oh, sorry. I did not be to be so insulting to pond scum.

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment