Statcounter

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Say that again, Siri?

I like Siri.  I like the convenience of just saying, "Where is . . ?" "Can you . . ." I've asked her "what day of the week was  . . .?" mainly because when I proof, I need to make sure that the date is correct.  I've actually run across a couple of occasions where the day of the week did not match the date of the year.

But the disadvantage of Siri is that she's voice-recognition . . . and that leads to a few, shall we say, interesting situations.

Last year, during a cold snap, I was trying to figure out what the wind chill was.  I kept saying "wind chill" to Siri, and Siri kept translating it to words I was not saying.

One of the translations, I will not repeat here, because it garnered the following response from Siri:  "I hope you don't kiss your mother with that mouth." 

I got a reminder of Siri's translation abilities, or lack thereof, today when I spoke a reminder to her about a friend of mine.

Laura is a woman in my Bible study group who just discovered that she has an aggressive form of breast cancer.  She is fighting back just as aggressively.  (On her way home from her PET scan, she posted a video of herself singing along with the song "Radioactive", commenting that she was a bit radioactive after the scan!)  Today I saw a picture of her holding a martini glass filled with juiced vegetables.  Juicing is one of the weapons she's using in her war against cancer. 

Laura had her port put in today and had given people the time of her appointment.  So I asked Siri to "remind me about Laura's port".

The reminder that came up? 

"Laura sport." 

So I shared her response with Laura and she sent me back a laughing emoji. 

I wish I could tell Siri, "Make Laura's cancer go away," and have her say, "Your wish is my command."

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment