Statcounter

Friday, July 22, 2016

Carb, two, three, four . . .

At a recent endocrinologist's appointment, I was told that my blood sugar was rather high.  So, I did a glucose tolerance test to find out whether or not I had diabetes.  (Do not misinterpret the name.  The "tolerance" part is actually a test to see if you can tolerate the taste of the liquid glucose they make you drink!)

After getting my blood drawn, I drank the aforementioned liquid glucose and shudder at the sweetness.  Then I got to wait for two hours.  And since I had to wait for two hours, I was advised to bring a book or something to keep me busy.  I took my iPad and iPod, and was lucky enough to be able to stream some video.

Two hours later, I got another blood draw.  I've had so many blood draws that the veins around my elbows are shot.  So I just tell the tech, take it out of the back of my hand.  You can see the veins there.  So yes, I got two blood draws in two hours.  Ouch.

When the results came back, they showed that I was pre-diabetic.

Not good.

So I get to enter the wonderful world of . . . carb counting.

My endocrinologist has a dietician.  I'm a bit skeptical of dieticians, because I've seen two of them in my lifetime, and both of them have told me that I need to "eat organic".  When I protested to one that I couldn't afford organic, he said, "It's better for you in the long run."  No mention of the cost factor.

The other one wanted me to eat weird food that I couldn't afford and probably didn't like.

So I approached that appointment with a mixture of fear and trepidation.

This appointment, however, was run by a reasonable person.

She gave me a guide to carb counting, and when I asked her if I was going to be told to eat weird food that I couldn't afford and didn't like, she said, "No."  She also said that no, I didn't have to eat organic.  Thank God.  But she did say that I needed to add more protein, more vegetables, and exercise consistently.

So now, the challenge is, how in the world do I plan meals with fewer carbs?  Probably, I just have to sit down and do it.

The answer to everything these days, it seems, is "exercise and eat your veggies."

So, all together now:

Carb, two, three, four; carb, two, three, four . . .

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.


No comments:

Post a Comment