Statcounter

Sunday, December 24, 2017

How Orkin did not steal Christmas

That headline is slightly unfair to Orkin.  My husband pointed out today that the timing of Orkin's visit could have been a lot worse.

Friday, I wrote this entry about how we got a nasty surprise from Orkin, telling us that we needed work on our crawlspace that was going to cost us a big chunk of change, and that I was going to get very creative on how we celebrated Christmas this year. 

I didn't expect the response I got.

Yesterday, a Facebook friend messaged me asking me what my email address was.

A minute late, I found a Walmart gift card resting in my email box.

When I messaged her back to tell her thank you, she said, "No one goes without Christmas on my watch." 

This morning at church, a man slipped money into my hand so that Matthew could have something for Christmas.  And later, Frank told me that someone had given him another Walmart gift card for Matthew as well.

So I dropped Frank at a nearby Barnes & Noble and trotted off to Walmart (while Matthew was helping out at our second service). 

Thanks to the generosity and kindness of people, this is what my tree looks like: 


I have another gift to finish for Matthew. 

Christmas would have come for us tomorrow, like it did for the residents of Whoville when the Grinch stole Christmas.  Christmas does come without ribbons, bows, and presents.

But Christmas also comes with kindness and generosity, and this was what we experienced this weekend.

Orkin may have "stolen" Christmas, but it was more than returned by others. 

I am grateful.

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment