Statcounter

Monday, February 4, 2019

Oh, who made the hairbrush?

Apparently, asking the question, "Who invented the hairbrush?" is now considered racist.

I recently posted a meme listing the names of black inventors, what they invented, and the date they invented it.  One of the names on that list is a Lydia O. Newman, who allegedly invented the hairbrush in 1898.

The first comment that followed came from Person A, who said, "The hairbrush as we know it was 'invented' (or modernized) in 1777, in England."

I thought, Hmm, I wonder if she invented a particular type of hairbrush.

Another item on the list was the door stop, allegedly invented by Osbourn Dorsey in 1878.

Person A commented, "Door stops also go back to the 1770's, so what is the door stop on this list?"

The next comment came from Person B:  "Wow, do you have any reason to be so dismissive of the achievements of African-American inventors other than racism?"

I was floored.  I happen to be acquainted with Person A.  Person A is white.  He is also Jewish.  If he's racist, he's hidden it well from me.  Person B is a white female I'm only acquainted with through FB, and who does not know Person A. 

I said, "Um, this person is a friend of mine.  I'd be careful before you accuse him of being racist."

Person B:  "His comment was racist."

Person B went on to say, "He can find by Googling that patents were issued for the items on the list.  Attempting to dismiss them as not being inventions in racist."

I told Person B that Person A was a friend of mine; she didn't know him, I did.

And then I told her, "STOP. NOW.   I don't appreciate your name calling."

Person C, an African-American male who I'm also acquainted with, and who Person A is also acquainted with, then joined the conversation with:  "The comment did come off dismissive.  I can't speak to intent although I can't see [Person A] intentionally meaning it that way."

In response to Person A's question of "how did it come off as dismissive?", Person C explained:  "When the first comment that follows a post about African American achievements is a statement about how they didn't do what was posted, it leaves the impression that the achievement didn't really happen and that it's giving credit for something that African Americans didn't actually do.  I don't think you [meaning Person A] meant it in that way, but that is the taste left in the mouth.  It follows the history in this country of demeaning and dismissing achievements by anyone who has dark skin . .. to say we've not contributed anything to the success of this country."

Person D, a white woman who isn't acquainted with Person A, B, or C, added,  "Take a deep breath and maybe get a glass of wine . . . step away from deep thinking . . . NOT everything is racist or meant to be racist."

Person D added a few comments later:  "Then carry on with the baragge [sic] of keeping racism alive and well and to the forefront . . . MLK will be turning over in his grave because we have stepped waaay back since the civil rights movement . . . meanwhile no one seems to have a problem with murdering babies . . . But since it's black history month . . . lets [sic] drum up racism instead of celebrating the amazing things that people actually contributed . . ."

Person C responded with:  "You are deflecting.  Murdered babies aren't apart [sic] of this discussion.  You need to focus."

I responded to Person D with:  "I happen to know [Person C].  He's African-American, a friend of mine I know from college, and I happen to think he's raised a good point that we need to think about."

Later, I told Person D, "STOP.  These are friends of mine who have differing perspectives and I think they need to be heard."'

All of this over the question of "who invented the hairbrush?"! 

(At this point, I'm stifling the urge to break into, "Oh, Where Is My Hairbrush?" from VeggieTales!)

I can appreciate Person A's comments about "who invented what".  It's important, when we pass around stuff, to know whether or not we're passing around accurate information.  I will need to check if there's inaccurate stuff on that original list I posted.

I can also appreciate Person C's comments.  I don't know what it's like to constantly have my achievements dismissed and denigrated.  I don't know what it's like to have achievements of my race, my culture, my group of people constantly dismissed or mocked or made fun of.  I can't speak from that perspective.  Person C can.

I also have "history" (borrowing a quote from Person C) with Person A and Person C.  That helped in the conversation.  I could listen a lot better to Person C because I have a "history" with him.  Person C also didn't come in automatically assuming and accusing someone of "racism".

I can handle a discussion.  What I resent are the automatic accusations of racism AND the automatic accusation of "you think everything is racist".

Person B has unfriended me on Facebook.  There's a sense in which I'm sorry, because I genuinely like her. On the other hand, that was her choice, and I'm not sorry for standing up for my friends.

And oh, to answer the question of "who invented the hairbrush?"

I did a quick Wikipedia search and found this article about Lyda D. Newman.  While she didn't invent the hairbrush, as in, she was the first person to create it; she did invent a hairbrush that could be taken apart and easily cleaned.  She was awarded US Patent No. 614,335 on November 15, 1898.

So I was right.  It was a specific type of hairbrush that she invented.

Now that I've settled that, I may go to work on the doorstop.

In the meantime, if you want to have a conversation about African-American history, achievements, etc. go right ahead.

But if you call me or any of my friends racist, you had better be prepared to back that accusation up with some serious proof.  Otherwise, I will call you out on it.

Because "who made the hairbrush?" shouldn't necessarily devolve into an accusation of "you're racist."

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the post and all the comments yesterday, started to comment on some of the craziness i saw brewing there and decided you were doing a fine job yourself of defending the people I would have been wanting to defend. Who knew that such a seemingly innocuous share of a post could go so sideways, eh?

    While I don’t know A, B, C or D, lol, I saw it all as you did. It seemed to me that A is a person who, is well-suited to his career as a teacher. He is interested in the truth, and his corrections of the original post had nothing to do with racism whatsoever. He was happy to give credit where credit was due, and in another comment, he made a correction pointing out that the man who was listed as having invented the air conditioner, actually didn’t invent that, but rather a refrigeration system for keeping our food cold. (An invention that strikes me as even more necessary to our survival than air conditioning, though I was raised in Florida). Lol! I think getting it right is important to the cause of racial equality. Bc if we throw information out there that isn’t “bulletproof”, the “dyed in the wool” racists can knock holes in it, which causes fog to be blown onto the actual achievements which become obscured. There are plenty of solid achievements contributed by African Americans...let’s make sure we present them correctly. And thank God, we have a teacher out there who is concerned for the truth and will be teaching it correctly so it will hold up to scrutiny.

    B was just out of line. Ridiculous. Enough said.

    And I read C just as you did who know him...he’s a man with different experience that we can learn from, but who carries no chip on his shoulder and isn’t spoiling for an argument. (I think B has a stack of chips she piled up there and, correct me if I’m wrong, but if memory serves, she’s not even “down with the struggle”, if you know what I mean, lol). Rather he gave the benefit of the doubt, and sought to politely educate the rest of us as to how it feels to be in the shoes of someone being raised as a racial minority (specifically African American) in this country. We need more like him who will patiently take the time to educate those of us that didn’t grow up in the same way and who try as best we can to wrap our heads around it, wanting to understand as truly as possible, but yet the actual experience will always be lacking. In fact, if more people were like A & C, people in our country would get along a whole lot better. And communication would be ever so much easier and maybe we’d sooner have understanding between the races. Honestly, most of the people I am friends with are like that in real life, and for that I am thankful. I know some idiots too; don’t get me wrong. However, I avoid them as much as possible. Ha! Reading back through yesterday’s stuff at the end of that day, it did seem that the bulk of things were written by kind and thoughtful people. It seems like it only takes a few nasty comments to spoil everything sometimes, I know it very well. But there are a lot of still reasonable people around too. ;-)

    I find that after that, I don’t even want to talk about D...so I won’t. Ha.

    I love your post today. I think you are spot on with your thoughts about it all in hindsight, though I thought you acted with grace yesterday too.�� You have a thoughtfulness and sincerity, expressed with kindness, that I appreciate. Thank you for sharing, my dear:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete