Statcounter

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Maybe funny someday, but not now . . .

The events of Friday may be funny someday, but at the moment, they are not funny at all.

It all started when our washer went on the fritz a few days ago.  I was taking clothes out of the washer that were still sopping wet. 

I booked an appointment with a repair person who came out this past Thursday and told me that the gear case/clutch wasn't working, and so the washer wasn't going into the spin cycle.  Estimated cost of repair:  $464. 

Of course, if I wanted to take 50% off of the repair bill, I could sign up for a Sears warranty.

I gave my stock reply to the repair person:  I want to talk to my husband first.

The guy asked if I'd be willing to answer a survey about how well he'd done his job.  I said, sure; not realizing that he was going to call his supervisor right then and there and put me on the phone.  (I understand that he did have to call and say that he was done at my house.) 

The supervisor asked, did so-and-so tell you about the warranty?  Yes, he had.

I got the impression that they didn't want to fix my machine as much as they wanted to sell the warranty. 

When Frank came home, I gave him the bad news, and he responded the way I thought he would:  "We could buy a new machine for that much." 

I agreed. 

In the meantime, we still had a LARGE amount of laundry to do. 

Which leads to the events of Friday.

I had an appointment at 10 a.m., which meant that I couldn't attend Weight Watchers; I could, however, weigh in.  (And bear in mind, this has been during a week of intense cold across the nation.  Winter weather warning for Florida, anyone?) 

So I drove down to Weight Watchers, weighed in, then turned back around and drove to my appointment.  I got there just in time for the person to weigh me in. 

After the appointment, I drove home, stopped for a red light . . . and for some weird reason, I decided that it was perfectly okay to try and make a left turn on a red arrow.  Fortunately, I realized in the middle of the turn what I was doing, and I backed up and waited until the light turned green. 

I got home, had lunch, then loaded up the car to take my LARGE load of laundry to the laundromat six blocks away.  When I got there, I hauled that LARGE load of laundry to the doors of the laundromat . . . only to find out that the change machine was NOT WORKING.  

So once again, I hauled that LARGE load of laundry back to my car.  Fortunately, there was another laundry two miles in the opposite direction, so I drove there, took out my LARGE load of laundry, and hauled it into the laundromat . . . after first checking to see if the change machine was working.  It was.

I ended up using at least five, maybe six, machines to do that LARGE load of laundry.  There is a reason I keep emphasizing the word LARGE. 

When I started emptying out the dryers and folding up the laundry, I had a nagging feeling that I might be overlooking some of the clothes I'd brought. 

Because I was worn out and I knew I wouldn't have time to cook a decent dinner, I ordered dinner at Chick-Fil-A and took it home. 

Matthew wanted to know where his laundry was, and I told him I still needed to sort it.

It was while I was sorting it that I started asking myself, did I leave a load of laundry behind with Matthew's clothes in it?

So I asked Matthew . . . and he really couldn't answer me . . . so I finally told him and Frank to come with me and we drove back to the laundromat.

It turned out that no, I hadn't left a load of laundry behind.

I'd left TWO loads of laundry behind. 

One of them, I found in a dryer (which was mostly Frank's clothes); the other, I found in a washer.  Those were Matthew's missing clothes.

We took the clothes home, and Matthew ran his through the dryer.

Well, as of this coming Thursday, God willing, we won't have to do that again for a while; because we ordered a new machine at Home Depot and Thursday is the day it's supposed to come.

This whole story will probably be funny someday.

Just not right now!

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment