Statcounter

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Today sucked . . .

Today sucked for my BFF.

There are no other words to put it that wouldn't cross the line into being obscene. 

Today, her mother-in-law died.  She was 90, had lived a long life, and had been in declining health for the last several years.  My friend has been a faithful caregiver to her.  She had her times when she was tired of the job, when she got frustrated and let off steam; but always, always, she went back and did what she needed to do.  Because she loved her, and part of loving her was caring for her. 

They'd known since Thursday that this might be coming.  My friend's mom in law went back to the hospital after coming home, and little by little, her body just gave out.  My friend and her husband were at the hospital when her mom in law died. 

My friend had barely slept since Thursday, hadn't showered, hadn't changed clothes.  She was not sorry to be there, not sorry to be with her husband and give him the support he desperately needed at that point. 

As I write this, they are back home, trying to get some sleep and trying to prepare for what will be a very difficult week ahead.  The funeral will be next week.  My friend's mom in law will be buried next to her husband. 

Losing a family member is bad enough for a day to suck, even when you know it's coming and you're just waiting for it to happen. 

That's not the entire reason today sucked.

Not only did they lose a mother and mom-in-law, they lost a family pet at the same time. 

Their dog was acting oddly, so my friend's son took him to the vet.  And that's when they discovered that the dog had a bleeding tumor in his abdomen. 

The vet recommended he be put to sleep. 

So he was. 

And this was all happening at the same time.  Not one happening in the morning and one in the evening, but both in the evening, both around the same time. 

It does occur to me that maybe their beagle went to keep my friend's mom in law company. 

But that above sentence is poor comfort when you lose two family members, a human and a dog, in the same day at the same time. 

My friend said she was reminded of Job wanting to curse the day he was born, because she was tempted to curse today. 

I don't blame her.

Today sucked.

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.


No comments:

Post a Comment