Statcounter

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Tina's TEOTWAWKI Journal, Day 43-44

Yesterday I melted down.

Not only did I melt down, I think I took Frank and Matthew with me.

Matthew has a practice job interview on Monday.  All week, his teacher has been giving assignments to her students, such as watching a video about job interviewing and completing assignments about answering interview questions.

Friday, Matthew's teacher first said that no one had turned in an assignment she had posted in their discussion area.  So, after virtual class, I decided to delegate the job of finding that assignment to Frank and Matthew.  Frank has been telling me that I need to delegate.  I figured this was a good opportunity.

Well . . . it took me helping them, but we did find the link to the assignment.  It linked to a Google document . . .  which we did not have permission to open.

I emailed Matthew's teacher, who may have fixed the problem because later on, we were able to get to the assignment, print it out, and have Matthew fill in the questions.

The problem came when we tried to fill out the Google document online.

We couldn't do it.

I got so frustrated I went downstairs and yelled at Frank.

He went upstairs and tried to fill it out. 

He could not fill out the Google document.

So he got the idea to scan the document Matthew filled out and send it to his teacher.

I thought it was too much work but I did go along with it.

I couldn't get the scanner to work.

In the meantime, Matthew is watching me and Frank is occasionally watching me.

Matthew dislikes dealing with technology anyway, except when it comes to streaming video.  This whole debacle did not help matters.

Finally, I told Matthew that we would deal with it tomorrow.  And then I cried on Frank's shoulder.

I also put out a scream on Facebook, which prompted a call from my BFF.

I cried on her shoulder.  Part of my FB scream was also about Trump's comments about bleach and disinfectant.  I am not going to go into that here, except to say, I am so sick of political spin. 

BFF reminded me that we are dealing with a crisis:  COVID-19, a shaky economy, and an election coming up, and I am dealing with, basically, homeschooling a kid with the help of the public school system.  (She also gave me more bad news:  as much as I might be tempted to kill someone over this whole mess, I'm not allowed because she has no bail money to bail me out of jail.) 

She calmed me down, reminded me that we'd get through this, and pointed out -- after I said I'd eaten some chocolate before I had my meltdown -- that chocolate should not be rationed during times like these. 

We ended up having a good conversation with lots of laughter, and after I hung up, I had a chat with my husband.

Today was a new day, and after finding the installation CD for my printer, I reinstalled the software, re-set everything up, and after a few mispunched buttons, FINALLY scanned the document and sent it to Matthew's teacher.

That saga is now over.

Now, I need to go to my Saturday chores of cleaning the bathroom.  I enjoy that chore so much that I am sitting here writing on the blog rather than clean the bathroom.  (Note sarcasm here.)   

The other source of my frustration was trying to hang some shelving in my office.  After trying, failing, and staring at all the stuff I'd brought up and thinking that I just didn't have the energy to bring it down, I finally got the idea to use some different wall anchors.  Those works.  So far, the shelf is still standing.

One of the tools I brought up is a hammer.

Which will be used as a motivation (read, threat) to the computer, printer, and other technology if it ever causes me to melt down again!

Deep breath, and into our theme song:

It's the end of the world as we know it

It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine!


Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment