Statcounter

Friday, April 3, 2020

Tina’s TEOTWAWKI Journal, Days 21 & 22

I knew the day would come when I would forget to make a journal entry.  It came yesterday.  I really don’t have that much of an excuse, except that I did spend part of the day on a 30 minute walk and part of the day bread shopping, and the evening trying to do some crocheting and watching Chinatown at the same time.

I was in bed before I realized I hadn’t written, and I thought, “I don’t care.  I will catch up on it tomorrow.”

Last night, I watched Chinatown.  Well . . . what can I say about Chinatown?  It’s a 1974 movie with Jack Nicholson (a quite handsome Jack Nicholson, by the way) and Faye Dunaway, directed by Roman Polanski, nominated for 11 Oscars, placed in the National Film Registry, consistently ranked among the greatest movies of all time.

I taped it a number of months ago, and last night, in order to delete it from my server, I watched it.

All I can say about it is in one word:  Weeeeeiiiirrrd.

There’s portions I can follow, as in Jake (Jack Nicholson’s character) trying to track down who set him up, his investigation into a murder, which leads him to a dam wasting water during a drought (which also leads to him getting what is referred to as “the most famous nose job in history” involving Roman Polanski wielding a switchblade), his encounters with Faye Dunaway’s character and her character’s father . . . But the twists and turns just got a little bit too much for me, especially during the last five minutes of the film.

The actors do a good job, the film is well shot, I have no doubt that the script is well-written, but there were places where I just lost the story and couldn’t get it back.

Maybe, like Jake, I should just forget it, because “it’s Chinatown”.

In other subjects  . . . Wednesday I went to Aldi, bought six loaves of bread, only to be told that the limit was two.  (The checker was very nice and let me have the six loaves.)

Thursday I went to the Tastykake outlet store, bought two loaves of bread per the sign posted behind the county . . . To be told that, “no, there’s no limit; in fact, we’re trying to get rid of our bread!”

So Tastykake may be getting my business again today.

After I do dishes and laundry and have an online counseling appointment.

And lead another chorus of our theme song:

It’s the end of the world as we know it
It’s the end of the world as we know it
It’s the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine!

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment