Statcounter

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Tina's TEOTWAWKI Journal, Days 45-48

The inability of families to gather together and grieve just hit home with us this morning.

My husband's brother died this morning of throat cancer, and we can't go and be with the family.

I don't know what sort of memorial they may be planning, whether they'll have a very small funeral and a larger memorial service later, or if they have other plans.

This particular brother-in-law leaves behind a wife, and also two kids that are either in their late teens or early 20's.  I am not certain of their actual ages, but my son is 21 and they are both a little younger than he is.  When I told my husband that that wasn't a good time to lose a dad, he pointed out to me that no time is a good time to lose a dad.

It stinks not to be able to be with family during a difficult time.


A friend of mine just had a granddaughter and wasn't able to go to the hospital to be with her daughter.  She has finally gotten to see the baby.  (I am of the opinion that all babies are cute and all brides are beautiful.) 

This is yet another reason this virus totally stinks.

In other news, technology worked against us on Sunday; we had a problem where some people could get onto the platform we use for online church and some couldn't.  Matthew could.  Frank and I couldn't.  The problem was eventually fixed (thank you, tech team!) . . . just in time for our power to go out at the end of service!

Neither situation was our fault.  The first was a technical problem that the experts had to solve.  The second was the result of a power transformer that blew up.  We got power back within less than a half hour.  Other people in my neighborhood were not so lucky.  They had to wait longer.  While I dislike inconveniences, I hope I realize that much of what I am dealing with right now is inconvenience, and we'll get through it.

But losing a family member and not being able to be with them?  That's not an inconvenience.  That is a situation that just plain stinks.  And too many people are in that situation.  Some of those deaths are from COVID and the family can't be with them due to the nature of the illness.  Some of those deaths are from family members in another city or state where you can't travel to be with them. 

In this case, snark may or may not help:

It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine! 
Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

No comments:

Post a Comment