Statcounter

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Make the left turn at . . . Loll?

Bugs Bunny, in many of his cartoons, winds up in weird places and then complains, "I KNEW I should have taken that left turn at Alberquerque!" (In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny In King Arthur's Court, he adds, "I will never, never take directions from Ray Bradbury ever again!)

When one man had to make a left turn, he discovered something about his wife he never knew.

In Coal Troll's Blog, written by John M. Williams, a native of Harlan County, Kentucky, Williams describes growing up in Harlan County and comments that "Harlan County is not on the way to anywhere." He's right. If you wind up in Harlan County, there is a 99% chance that you meant to get there. (I was born in Harlan County; my family moved away when I was four but we've made many trips back since. My last visit was in 2019, to scatter a portion of my mother's ashes on her father's grave.) 

After Williams wrote the entry "The Harlan County Way" in February, 2013, he got a total of over 200 comments talking about life in Eastern Kentucky. The majority of the comments were positive memories. 

One man, not born in Harlan County, told the following story, retold in my words:

He'd married a woman born and raised in Harlan who'd moved to Indiana when she was a teenager. On vacation, they decided to go see the woman's sister.  They'd been driving south, so I wouldn't know if they'd turned right or left -- although I suspect it was left, if they were coming from the direction I think they were. 

In any event, when they reached Pineville, Kentucky, there's only one way from Pineville to Harlan, and that is US Route 119. It's been repaved, widened, repaved, and rerouted over the years. (I remember riding over the road one time and seeing two construction machines parked on the side, one with "CAT" and the other with "Caterpillar" on the side.) When I drove it in 2019, it took about a half hour to get from Pineville to Harlan. My cousin later reminded me that it used to take about an hour and I said, "Yeah, I thought it was a long drive from Pineville!"

The driver in the comment was driving on US 119, looking for the turnoff to Loll. 

He was quite surprised when his wife informed him (his words were "chastised soundly") for missing the road. So, he made a U-turn and drove back down US 119, then made yet another U-turn and drove back towards Harlan, this time much more slowly. 

His wife told him to take the turn at Loyall. 

Why? he asked. 

This is where my sister lives, she responded.

In Harlan County, Loyall is not pronounced like the word "loyal." It is pronounced, "L-O-L-L."

He commented, that was the day that he learned that when you turned onto US 119 at Pineville, his wife "changed languages and needed a translator."

I believe it. She stopped speaking English and started speaking Appalachian. 

I spent almost five years of my life in Harlan County. I still count myself as a Harlan Countian, even though I have not lived there since 1968. These days, I proofread depositions from a court reporting firm in Louisville. (Someone once asked me, "Do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky LEW-e-ville, Louis-ville, or Loo-ville?" My answer:  "You actually pronounce it Frankfort.")  Specifically, I proofread depositions for civil cases, and many of those depositions have come from Eastern Kentucky. Whenever I see the words, "Mamaw" and "Papaw" in a deposition, I just mentally nod my head and say, "Yep, they're from Kentucky." (I know there's other areas of the country that use "Mamaw" and "Papaw." 

Here's one other reason I knew Loyall was pronounced "Loll". 

My father graduated from high school there, from the now-closed Loyall High School.

So, Bugs Bunny, next time you turn right at Alburquerque, if you wind up in Harlan County, don't be shocked if you think they speak a foreign language there. 

Because they do. And for many people, that language is the language of home.

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.

3 comments:

  1. We had many from that area move to Michigan to work in the auto factories. I always understood them. Very few ever went back till they were buried there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go back because they have a free burial site.

      Delete
  2. My father’s family was an exception. They lived a year in Detroit before going back to Harlan because they really weren’t happy away from home.

    ReplyDelete