Statcounter

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Row, row, row your words, gently on the page . . .

This is another night where I will just be writing stream of consciousness again. I don't know if I am entertaining, boring, or torturing my poor little blog audience. I do okay when I have a particular subject I am writing about. I can knock off a blog entry in about an hour or less. 

Tonight I am writing to write. This is practice writing, so I guess anyone that reads this will have to take this as an equivalent to a musician practicing their scales. I took piano lessons as a child but never had the discipline to practice as much as I should have. And I am the daughter of a man that learned to play piano by ear. My dad did enjoy playing boogie-woogie on the piano; I think he was a fan of Jerry Lee Lewis. 

Where the "writing off the top of my head" ability came from, I have no idea. There are no writers in my family that I am aware of. Except for my late Uncle Jerry, and the two books, dissertation, and many academic papers he wrote would probably be a good cure for any insomnia I have. (I just looked on Amazon. One book is called Thermal Management Handbook: For Electronic Assemblies; one is Hybrid Microelectronics Handbook.) His dissertation title included the words "neutron-irradiated silicone", and when I found that title on a computer at my first library job and showed it to my reference desk partner, her response was, "Sure!" I love my Uncle Jerry. I would also probably not understand his writing. 

My mother never wrote anything, but she was the one who read to me. My father was not a book person; he enjoyed the newspaper, news magazines (and a copy of Field and Stream), and news programs. My mother read a lot of mystery and suspense. So did my grandmother. My sister takes after our father in that she prefers magazines to books. I prefer books. 

Well, there's my consciousness stream for the evening. 

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.


No comments:

Post a Comment