Statcounter

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

June 20th can't come soon enough!

One of my FB friends recently posted that he was not going to listen to 104.7 The Fish, one of our local Christian radio stations, until after June 20th because, contrary to its slogan, it was running ads that were not "safe for the whole family."

The ads?

Political ads.

Right now, Georgia's 6th Congressional district is holding a special runoff election.  Their previous Congressional representative, Tom Price, was appointed Secretary of Health and Human Services. When he accepted the offer, he vacated the Congressional seat, thus requiring a special election.

Already, we in Atlanta have been inundated--make that, saturated--with political ads that rival the nastiness shown during the Presidential election.  On April 18th, voters in the 6th Congressional District went to the polls to choose between 18 candidates of various political persuasions.  None of them gained over 50% of the vote, so now, we have to go through a runoff election between the top two candidates.  Jon Ossoff represents the Democrats; Karen Handel, the Republicans.  The runoff election is June 20th.

I don't live in the 6th Congressional District, therefore, I don't have to worry about who I'm going to vote for.  However, because I live in the Atlanta area, and because the 6th District is in Atlanta, I have to put up with the daily barrage of political ads accusing Jon Ossoff of being a liberal who will "rubber-stamp Nancy Pelosi's liberal agenda" and Karen Handel of being more than willing to spend taxpayer's money.  As of the beginning of May, this election stands as the most expensive Congressional election in history.

The FB friend who complained about the ads on The Fish said that his three-year-old behaved better than the people who made the ads.  I'd say that most three-year-olds behaved better than the ad makers!

I do listen to The Fish in the mornings, mainly because I enjoy their morning show.  This morning, the following (paraphrased by me) statement caught my attention:  "The following is a political ad that we are required by law to run.  The views expressed by these ads are not necessarily those of the management of this station or its owner.  Trust us, June 20th can't come soon enough!"

I did a little bit of research, and found out that the law does require stations to run all Federal political ads.  I'm assuming that the current Congressional race falls under Federal politics.  So The Fish doesn't have a choice.  Even though the people making political ads are behaving at the level of three-year-olds (which is rather insulting to your average three-year-old), if it deals with Federal elections, it has to go on the air.

If you don't like the ads, your only two alternatives are to stop listening to The Fish, which is what my FB friend did; or ignore the ads by turning down the volume or removing your earbuds or headphones, which is what I did this morning.

We both agree with The Fish, and probably with the entire metro Atlanta area:

June 20th can't come soon enough!

Just my .04, adjusted for inflation.



No comments:

Post a Comment